2020 was the tenth anniversary of the merger of the Institute of Actuaries and the Faculty of Actuaries, and on 20 January 2021, we took the opportunity to host a discussion with all the past Presidents. The 90- minutes meeting was pleasurable, meaningful, and engaging. and it lasted 90- minutes.
The high-level themes the President Emeriti talked about were:
• IFoA and the profession need to have greater visibility and voice, in listening and acting quickly.
• We must strengthen public engagement, public duty and political influence.
• Go back better – they praised the IFoA’s digitalisation and encourage changing our operational model.
• Impact over the last ten years (glass is half full not half empty) – have been good and encourage us to go further.
• The importance of prioritisation – we are doing too much!
• Thought leadership – promoting it is necessary.
• Governance – getting the balance right is critical.