Actuaries supporting actuaries
The IFoA has secured a major sponsorship agreement with Dr Patrick Poon to support its newly conceived Thought Leadership Programme.
The new programme seeks to re-position the IFoA at the centre of key societal debates, providing a forum and voice for actuaries in transformative in addressing global challenges. addressing the pressing social issues of our time and the strategic issues which confront the IFoA and the profession.
I first met Patrick Poon at the age of 17 in 1977 to seek his advice as he was one of the earliest qualified actuaries practising in Malaysia at that time. He is one of the IFoA pioneers and legendary actuaries in the region and has generously supported the pursuit of actuarial science over many years.
Partick has had a career spanning over 40 years in the insurance industry in Greater China and South-East Asia. In 1975, he became one of the earliest Chinese-born citizens to become a Fellow of the IFoA. He is also a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries and many Asian-based regional actuarial societies. He has served as a board member of the International Insurance Society and is a Past President of both the Actuarial Society of Hong Kong and the Actuarial Society of Malaysia
We are deeply appreciative of Patrick’s kind generosity and look forward to a productive philanthropic partnership.
The generous donation by Dr. Patrick Poon to the IFoA Foundation will see the setting up of a GBP 500,000 scholarship fund in Greater China and South-East Asia to provide bursaries for actuarial students at eligible IFoA accredited universities across both regions.
Students from the following IFoA accredited universities are eligible to receive the Foundation’s Scholarships if they meet the selection criteria:
- Asia Pacific University, Malaysia
- Beijing Technology and Business University, China
- Central University of Finance and Economics, China
- Fudan University, China
- Heriot-Watt University, Malaysia
- Mahidol University, Thailand
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, China
- Sunway University, Malaysia
- University of Hong Kong, Greater China
- University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia
- Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University, China
- Zhongnan University of Economics and Law, China